Minutes count when someone is having a stroke, and patients have the best chance of recovery if they receive treatment within three hours of first experiencing symptoms. F.A.S.T. (see below) action on your part, combined with the highly skilled stroke treatment offered through Mass General Hospital (MGH) at Southern New Hampshire Medical Center, can make a big difference in stroke recovery.
Know the Symptoms of a Stroke
- Stroke occurs when blood flow to the brain is interrupted. The faster a person receives medical care, the better the chances for recovery.
- Act F.A.S.T. to recognize the signs of stroke:
- F (face) Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?
- A (arm) Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
- S (speech) Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence. Are the words slurred?
- T (time) Act fast. Each minute lost means more brain cells die.
Southern NH Medical Center and MassGeneral Work Together to Save Lives
Using TeleStroke technology, our Emergency Department physicians can transmit CT images and other test results directly to specialists at Mass General Hospital. Patients may also be examined via video conferencing by a Mass General acute stroke neurologist.
With this partnership stroke patients get a second expert opinion and if needed, can start the most effective treatment plan as quickly as possible.
- Stroke patients are seen by a Mass General stroke specialist within minutes of arrival
- Immediate attention from one of the country’s leading stroke care providers
- Close to home treatment